Templeton Community Library Association Welcomes You
Building a Place to Gather and Grow
Templeton Community Library Association is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation. We welcome members and residents to join us in building a free public Library for Templeton without any taxpayer funds. Despite Covid restrictions we are developing a plan to place a modular Library on our leased site at the corner of Main Street and Vineyard Dr. in the Templeton High School parking lot. SLO County announced they are not able to contribute funds to this project. We received approval of our plans and budget from Templeton Unified School District. The Templeton Library will be a public space specifically designed for Templeton that serves the learning and technology needs of our residents all with privately donated funds.
Building on a Promise
Deliver a new modular library and provide library services in participation with SLO County for the Templeton Community.
Open Tue -Fri 1 to 5 pm,
Sat 10am -1 pm with masks and Social Distance. Our Small Book Room is staffed to help you borrow or donate books!
Our Building Site and Plans
Members approved our modular Library plan at the corner of Main Street and Vineyard Drive. We completed a CEQA study in progress.
Legacy donors to Remember. Margaret Radunich Anderson was native to Templeton. Her bequest put us over the top to build the Library.
Activities in our Community
Book Sales, Fundraisers, Barn Dance
George R. Hearst, Jr.
Elizabeth C. Nelson, 106!
The purpose of this non-profit Corporation is to establish and maintain an association of persons in support of the establishment of a library within the Templeton area of San Luis Obispo County.
Legacy Donors to Remember
Margaret Anderson Radunich was an early loyal supporter of the TCLA Building Fund. She passed away in 2018 and left a large gift to TCLA to help build a library Another contributor George Hearst gave a personal donation of $100,000, which TCLA hopes to honor with a Reading Nook in the new library.
Margaret A. Radunich
Templeton used to have a Library. It was built in 1915 as a Reading Room by the Templeton Women’s Civic Club on a lot on Main Street that the Templeton Board of Trade donated.
The Reading Room eventually became a library, listed in 1919 County records, and noted in last year’s SLO County Centennial Celebration of Library Services. However, the County closed Templeton Library along with 4 other branches in 1978 after Proposition 13 was enacted. The County later re-opened the other 4 branches, but not Templeton.
Templeton Community Library Association (TCLA) was formed in 2000 as a 501(c)3 corporation to continue a young Boy Scout's (Josh Gibson) idea to build a community library in Templeton as his Eagle Scout project. In collaboration with SLO County Officials, the plan was to partner 50-50 on the funds needed with SLO County to build Templeton a public Library.
In 2001, TCLA signed a lease with Templeton Unified School District (TUSD) for a portion of the High School parking lot at the corner of Main Street and Templeton Road, Templeton, as a library building site. Over the years TCLA fundraised to match with the County for a traditional stick-built building on the site. But in March 2020, the County announced there are no funds for library facilities in the foreseeable future. TCLA is now pursuing building a smaller modular library on a reduced budget with only donated funds. We hope to negotiate a County MOU to operate the modular library, but plan an interim operating plan using volunteers until that MOU is final.
TCLA operates a small Book Room lending library on Main Street, run by our volunteers. The Book Room now located in the Recreation Department is open Tues - Fri, 1 to 5 pm. Saturday mornings 10-1pm